Wish Upon A Dish: How to Avoid that Pesky Diet Plateau

October 12, 2015

How to Avoid that Pesky Diet Plateau

Best diet tip ever!!
This one changed the way I was thinking and dieting.
Those of us who hit that plateau where, even fasting won't make that scale move again, will be happy to know why for weeks and sometimes months, no matter how much we don't cheat (but are tempted too) our weight goes nowhere.
If you all know this next bit of wisdom, shake your heads yes and with my permission, find something more relevant to read. For those of you who were unawares, continue on.........
When a person eats half or more of their normal intake of daily calories, our bodies know and go into "starvation mode". That means, they actually store food calories in our fat so that it can feed us when we need it.
Example: In a month or two, you will no longer loose weight.
You will try to eat even less food and your scale will not budge. This is where diets fail.
It's not you people. Well, it is but it is nothing you are doing wrong.

Here's the great tip. You need to trick your body into thinking you are no longer starving yourself.
Your body actually gets comfortable with the skin it's in.
Change your routine. If you were walking, try riding a bike. Do strength training (weights). Start yoga. Anything new. Eat all your dinner calories for breakfast and your breakfast for dinner.
Cut out dairy for a few weeks, same with red meats. Try new foods.

In a week you should start to see the scale move. Keep up the new routine for a few weeks, and then go back to your normal routine.

I have decided that when my time comes, I will eat 1000 calories during the week and then up it to 1500-1600 calories a day on the weekends for one month, then back to 1000 a day all week.
I will dance instead of walk. The next plateau will be yoga (I should be slim enough to stay with it).

As the weeks continue, I will let you know how things are going, and if any of this really works.
In the mean time, I am preparing weekly meal plans at 1000 calories a day, for anyone who wants to join me.

Tonight I am making Thai Curry Mussels right out of EatingWell magazine. They have both a red or green curry version. Tonight it's green curry.

Tomorrow I will post a picture and the recipe, along with review.

Later.

No comments :