Wish Upon A Dish: Oat Bread

August 18, 2014

Oat Bread


I am typing this post on my new laptop. Finally going totally wireless. Still working out the setup and downloading all my toys but so far I can't wait to clear my desk.

I can not say I will miss any of the old hardware, but for almost 8 years, it did me well.
Soon I will be upstairs printing downstairs.

With all the extra space this set-up will create may actually be enough room for all my cookbooks, which at the present moment are all on the couch due to homework on my last recipe contest.

While I enjoy getting experience creating, testing and reworking recipes for these contests, it is always welcome when I post my last entry. While I can sometimes post up to four recipes, I often make 6-7 test runs. Sometimes I hit the mark immediately and other times, I find that it could take up to 4-5 tries before I am happy with the result.

The ones that are left on the cutting room floor often eventually find themselves posted here. Such was the case with this bread.


In this house, the loaves were deemed (in this order),
Great crust
Best French Toast ever
Rose like a balloon and in record time
Easy to make
Freezes like a dream
and
The healthiest bread that anyone could eat that was tender but firm and moist with tons of flavor.


The secret ingredient? whole grain oats. Yup. You could use Old Fashioned, Quick Cooking or Instant oats, as long as they are whole grain. For the first batch I used Old Fashioned and the second was Quick Cooking. I could tell no difference, so whatever you usually have in the house is fine.

One other thing I noticed. Now, it's the middle of the summer and we all know anything bread left out tends to mold faster than those that are placed in the fridge. I left the first one out all week and it never molded or dried out. Only wrapped in plastic with no towel at the bottom, I have to say the bread for the French Toast was moist instead of dry (like you would like for French Toast) but it soaked up the egg custard and the inside was souffle-like and the outside developed a great crust.

If you get the chance to make this bread, let me know what you think. The fact that it's loaded with fiber is a great way to start your day and the oats are oober healthy and a great grain for diabetics.
We all know that oats are great for lowering cholesterol and preventing heart disease. What's not to love?



During the week I spread peanut butter on a slice with  dollop of  'no sugar added' jam. I find that I am not so hungry when lunchtime rolls around.

I made this in my Kitchen Aide using the dough hook, but a bread machine would also work. If you are lucky enough to own a large food processor, that would also work.
Recipe can be successfully halved to make one loaf, in which case a 5-6 cup processor would be fine.

Oat Bread
makes 2 full sized loaves

* 2 cups boiling water
* 2/3 cup instant non fat milk
* 1 tablespoon shortening
* 1 tablespoon butter
* 1 tablespoon salt
* 2 tablespoons sugar
* 2 envelopes yeast
* 1/2 cup tepid water
* 1 cup whole grain rolled oats
* 4 tablespoons molasses
* 4 tablespoons honey
* Flour (about 6 cups)

Preheat oven to 375°
1. Mix 2 cups boiled water, instant milk, shortening, butter, salt, sugar, molasses and honey in a bowl.
Let cool down. Dissolve yeast in tepid water - then add to warm water mixture. Add oats.
2. Start with about 1 cup moist mixture and add 1 cup flour. Repeat until all the mixture is tacky to the touch but pulls off cleanly.
3. Knead on medium speed for 10 minutes in a stand mixer and 3 minutes in a food processor. Cover with a damp cloth and allow to double (abut 2 hours). Punch the dough down but don't knead.
4. Cut dough in half and add one to each pan. Allow to rise.
5. Bake at 375° till golden brown (about 40 minutes).

Remove and cool. Can be wrapped and frozen for up to one month.

Follow Me On Pinterest

No comments :