Wish Upon A Dish: Corn Tortillas vs Flour Tortillas ♥ Which is healthier?

April 12, 2014

Corn Tortillas vs Flour Tortillas ♥ Which is healthier?

I am always looking for new inspiration for diabetic-friendly recipes. Lately, I get the impression that even the healthy sites, really have no clue what constitutes diabetic-friendly. I was over at prevention.com today and clicked on their diabetic recipes. Every one of them contained pasta, potatoes, bread and rice and out of 24 recipes none had under 10 carbs per serving.

I know that once you have your diabetes under control (A1C under 5.8), you can eat small portions of those carbohydrate foods, but if you are injecting or have problems relating to diabetes (eyes, nerves, kidneys), carbohydrates are pretty much, for all intensive purposes, forbidden. Yes, our bodies do need certain foods that contain carbohydrates but when I see a recipe with over 30 carbs per serving and no recommendations to sub ingredients that allows the recipient to make the final decision on their own, I imagine no one will tag that as a must try. Even the ADA says that a daily allowable allotment of carbohydrates is over 60 grams per meal or 10% of the calories. I feel that is way too much. I think that a 'no carb day' is just as important as pizza night, and pasta night. Getting people used to eating less carbs can only be a good thing.

There is one thing that my doctor told me that I probably will never forget....
"being pre-diabetic is like being a little bit pregnant."

I am not looking to point fingers at magazines or website, they all want to attract readers and subscribers, but until we educate the younger generation as to what is in store for them if they continue eating french fries and 1/2 a pound of pasta, along with bread 3x a day, in the years to come, I believe diabetes will overtake heart disease related deaths as the No.1 reason in the US.

Over the years I have tried to determine which this vs. that is better for a diabetic or if there was a better ingredient out there that would amount to a magic pill that would allow us to eat pasta every night or have a sandwich for lunch everyday, but all I have been able to do is find a better version for what is already firmly rooted in the American diet.

I limit myself to one tortilla a day, either as part of an egg burrito for breakfast or a turkey roll-up for lunch. If I eat carbs during the day, I don't at dinner. Yes, I do eat pasta once a week (I am Italian, it's my one food addiction) an occasional roll with a burger, never white potatoes and rice once a month. I used to eat rice 3x a week. Now I eat quinoa and millet, amaranth and barley.

Today I am starting a new label and when I finally finish designing my domain website, a new page on that site named "which is healthier". For now I will post a few over the next few weekends when I don't normally post a recipe.

Here goes..........
Since tortillas have surpassed bread, I thought this would be a great place to start.

(picture credit:  prevention.com)

Follow Me on Pinterest

No comments :