Wish Upon A Dish: Corn and Black Bean Huevos Rancheros

August 2, 2013

Corn and Black Bean Huevos Rancheros

I bought two ears of corn to serve with a dish I intended to cook but lately everything I plan on doing, just does not get done and I find myself scrambling for last minute ideas for dinner.

Oh, I did manage to grill the corn (in scorching weather, I blitz grill everything for the week), along with a package of sausage, two red peppers, a green pepper from my deck garden, two Vidalia onion's and a pound of bacon. Whew, hot work!

Even with all my bounty, I had no clear idea of what I wanted for dinner but a tour of my freezer netted a cup of ranchero sauce, a package of Jack cheese along with black beans and a handful of corn tortillas.

BINGO! Dinner was born. Been some time since the last batch. I forget how much I love this dish. While I always use flour tortillas, I had just enough corn tortillas and sauce after making these and I upped the ante on the filling by using some of my blitz grilled vegetables and a can of black beans. It was not only easy, it was simple genius.

This mixture could be added to so many things, quinoa, rice, to stuff peppers, addition to taco meat, enchiladas and even chipotle mac and cheese.
I am using mine to make black bean burgers (post soon!). Yum-O


Black Bean, Corn & Pepper Sauté
Yield: 2 cups

* 1 large ear of corn, grilled with kernels removed
* 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
* 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
* 1/2 onion, diced
* 2 large garlic cloves, minced
* 1/4 cup chopped pimentos
* 1/2 frying pepper, diced
* 2 tablespoons ketchup
* 1/4 cup enchilada sauce or ranchero sauce or ancho chili sauce
* 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, mashed
* 1/2 teaspoon cumin
* 1 tablespoon agave nectar
* 1 teaspoon chile powder
* Chopped scallions or chives, for garnish

1. Saute onions, garlic, peppers and chipotle in oil until mixture is soft.
2. Add black beans, corn, ketchup, enchilada sauce, agave nectar, chile powder and cumin. Simmer for 4-5 minutes and remove from the heat.

Assembly:
Place two heated corn tortilla on each plate. One spoonful of black bean mixture topped with grated jack cheese and two eggs (any style). A spoonful of ranchero sauce and a garnish of chopped scallions.

Follow Me on Pinterest

No comments :