Wish Upon A Dish: Mini Dutch Peach Crumb Pie

July 3, 2013

Mini Dutch Peach Crumb Pie

It is no secret that I do not bake cakes, pies or tarts. Adore them? Oh, my yes! Tarts being my hands down favorite. When the weather is this humid and the fridge is packed to the gilders, there is no room to store a full sized tart, so last weekend, when The Nudge spotted white peaches at Whole Foods, an idea to make a white peach tart immediately came to mind. Not a full one, but mini tarts. Totally obsessed with all things baked in jars, I went in search of Ball jam jars I thought I owned but what I had were jelly jars, not the right ones.

That was OK, I had mini springform pans somewhere. Turns out I was wrong. I am beginning to regret organizing my kitchen last month.
This search turned up nada.... sigh......

Not one to give up, I knew where my one cup ramekins were, and they would just have to do. Certainly not tart-like, some adjustments would have to be made. This is where bad things always happen to me.

Experienced bakers out there could make these adjustments as easily and as efficient as an experienced cook could break down a whole chicken.

For me, it required careful mathematical calculations and three separate recipes off the web.

One thing I knew for sure, was that I wanted a French Apple Pie crumb topping. The rest was up for consideration.

WHOA!!! PARDON THE INTERRUPTION. HOLD THE PHONE.........

While writing this post I was reminded that there is also a Dutch Apple Crumb Pie out there.
I told you trouble always finds me.

What I found out was that we are so totally wrong in our interpretation of a French vs Dutch Apple Pie.
A French Apple Pie is a Tart Tartine, where the filling is baked in a skillet with the crust on top, flipped out and topped with creme fraiche.
A Dutch Apple Pie is a pie with the crust on the bottom and then topped with a crumb topping.

Got it? Good!

So what I really have, is a Dutch Peach Crumb Pie. 
Phew, glad that is settled.

So, to recap...what I eventually chose was a shortbread crust (for ease in such a tight container), a simple chopped fruit and sugar maceration for the filling and finally a topping, which teetered for a minute to include oats as in Ina's iconic fruit crisps.

A Dutch Apple Pie topping, sans the oats, it would be and it just so happened that this site, had just posted her version of Apple Pies in a Jar with the exact topping. BINGO!

Two peaches would fill three ramekins, so out came my scale and up went the Kitchen-Aide. Oh, math, how I hate you so. Fortunately I live with a human calculator.

So far, too easy. I preceded with extreme caution.

Being all about the simple, I did not want to buy a premade pie crust (and I was not going to make one for just three portions). The Nudge loves shortbread cookies and I love the press-in part, yup I was on it like a cat to milk. I was done. I had my recipes and adjustments in hand.
Wish me luck?  LOL

As you can see from the pic, it looked great and it smelled better but the proof was in the pudding.

I was worried the shortbread would be soggy from the peach juice and sugar maceration but it was true to form. Crunchy, solid and buttery. 1st test = Excellent
The filling was thoroughly cooked but not mushy and had just the right amount of sweetness. You could taste the peach. 2nd test = Wonderful
The crumb topping was crumby but not crumbling, sweet and perfect. Next time there will be less of it for such a small portion. Easy to overdo. 3rd and final test = GONE

I know this will not be the last time making an appearance on my dessert cart this summer, since three portions is perfectly perfect for empty nesters, now that I have all the measurements figured out.

The best thing about these pies is you need only a processor or stand mixer, and no need to even clean the bowl after the crust or topping since both use the same ingredients.

Next time I hit Wally World, I will be sure to pick up a case of small jam jars.

Now that's a favor that only requires The Nudge's brawn, not his brain.



Mini Dutch Peach Crumb Pies
From the minuscule kitchen of Wish Upon A Dish, with inspiration from Glorious Treats

Prep time: 30 minutes
Bake time: 50 minutes
Yield: 4 (3/4 cup) ramekins 

Crust:
* 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
* 2 tablespoons sugar
* 3/4 cup AP flour
* 1/4 teaspoon almond extract

Filling:
* 2 large white peaches, peeled, pitted and diced
* 1/4 cup sugar
* 1/2 tablespoon flour
* 1/4 teaspoon almond extract

Topping:
* 1/3 cup flour
* 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
* 2 tablespoons brown sugar
* 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
* 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature

Preheat oven to 350°
Mix crust in a processor or stand mixer. Divide into 4 portions and use a floured measuring cup to press it into place. Repeat for each ramekin.
Mix the filling in a bowl and let it macerate while the oven heats. Divide evenly into each ramekin.
Use the same mixer to make the topping. Pulse until it starts to come together. Divide into 4 portions and spoon on top of the fruit mixture.
Place a silicon pad, piece of parchment paper or foil on a sheet pan to stop the drippings.
Bake for 50 minutes. Remove and rest. Mixture will settle. Can be refrigerated and brought back to room temperature before serving.

Follow Me on Pinterest

No comments :