Wish Upon A Dish: Deviled Egg Salad

April 20, 2013

Deviled Egg Salad


It's no secrest The Nudge adores eggs. I would say love but that word is so overused in relation to food ingredients and now that I think of it adore isn't all that great either.
So how do you describe a food you could eat every day for the rest of your life?

Smashingly good.
Cherish.
Treasure.
Prize.
Relish.
Fancy.
Savor.
Worship.
Revere.
Praise.
Extol, and my new favorite.....
Panegyrize

Can you worship an egg?
Treasure a chicken?
Fancy a shrimp.
Praise the pig!

Imagine all this because I read an article that asked the question....can a diabetic eat three eggs every day?
It had to be a typo. I might eat 3 eggs a week but certainly not every day.The Nudge could, and would if his favorite go to pub near work served their omelet special each day.

We all know now-a-day eggs are laid by chickens that eat a much better diet then even 3 years ago, so now they have all sorts of minerals and omega's, but remember they still have the bad part, cholesterol.
If your cholesterol is normally below 200, eggs are a good source of protein and inexpensive enough to enjoy a few times a week. So, yes diabetics, relish those eggs and praise the hen!

When my market has a sale on eggs (Easter is a great time), I will  usually buy two dozen and make hardboiled eggs for a snack during the day and then a dinner omelet. I am, and always have been one to eat them scrambled but since mastering the perfect poached egg, I often will make something that I can top with an egg and once a month I make this favorite breakfast dish.

Today I made a Deviled Egg Salad. Probably the best egg salad I have ever eaten.
If you like heat this salad is for you.

Deviled Egg Salad
makes 2 sandwiches
* 4 hard boiled eggs, diced (I use an egg slicer both ways)
* 1/3 cup low fat mayonnaise
* 1 teaspoon horseradish mustard
* 1 teaspoon Sambal Oelek (rooster sauce)
* Salt & pepper to taste
* 2 teaspoons Mirin

Mix everything together and let rest in the fridge for at least 1 hour if possible. Overnight is the best.

Follow Me on Pinterest