Wish Upon A Dish: Cake Mix Chocolate Chip Cookies

April 8, 2013

Cake Mix Chocolate Chip Cookies


Being the non-baker that I am, I always have a boxed cake mix in my pantry.
Those days when I get a request to bake something on the fly, I can make flavored bundt or sheet cakes and even cupcakes (if I was one to actually make a cupcake).

Having eaten the ice cream sandwiches and the last of a piece of carrot cake from Easter, I pulled out my box of yellow cake mix and while I was pondering what flavoring to use, I saw a recipe on the side panel for Walnut & Chocolate Chip Cookies. Having eaten my share of walnuts this weekend, I did have chips and cocoa powder.

BINGO!

These were easy, fast and crispy, crunchy chocolaty good.
I used a #2 scoop and one batch made 20 cookies.

I was afraid they would turn out with a cakey texture but upon cooling they stayed crunchy thru to the middle. I would make these again using different ingredients and extracts.

I did not add any extra sugar to the batter but I sprinkled demerara crystals on the top before baking which gave them a nice crinkle.

Trust me, if you forgot to bake something for your kids bake sale, these are for you. Even I could not screw them up and they can be whipped up in under an hour, start to finish.

Chocolate Chip Boxed Cake Cookies
makes approx. 20 (3") cookies

* 1 yellow cake mix
* 2 large eggs
* 2/3 cup shortening
* 1/4 cup miniature chocolate chips
* 1/4 cup good quality cocoa powder

Using a stand or hand mixer, beat half the cake mix, the eggs and shortening until fluffy. Mix the cocoa powder with the remaining half cake mix and, on low speed, add to the mixer.
Scoop onto baking sheet leaving 1" between. Bake at 375° for 15 minutes.
Remove to a rack to cool. Store in a cake keeper or cookie jar.

Follow Me on Pinterest

No comments :