Wish Upon A Dish: Ravioli Carbonara

January 10, 2013

Ravioli Carbonara

Whenever I get a trip to Whole Foods I always splurge on their fresh ravioli. This time I grabbed a package stuffed with Artichoke & Fontina Cheese. Yum, need I say more?

Soon as I get them home I park them in the freezer because with pasta this good, you have to plan the appropriate sauce.

Yes, I know it sort of defeats the buying of fresh when you eventually freeze it but, in my book, fresh is also fresh frozen.

Did I mention that my Shop-Rite had Prosciutto di Parma on sale for $9.99?
I think the Deli boy rolled his eyes at me when I asked for a whole pound.
Well, I know it's work to slice them thin, place them side by side in one layer on a sheet of butchers paper, but excuse me, it is your job young man. I ain't running for office.
He got back at me when he sliced my Mother Goose liverwurst.

After much deliberation I decided (with approval from the peanut gallery) on a light cream sauce with prosciutto and peas, except I didn't have any peas so I used a shallot and parsley for flavor and color. My peanut gallery is easy as long as there is prosciutto. What is it with men and meat?

I know I have been remiss with posting recipes but I promise to get better. I actually have a small backlog of them but the pics are poor or the recipe wasn't all that great and all the good leftovers where taken to work and eaten.


This was really good but what's not to love. Cream, pork, eggs, garlic and cheese.
We enjoyed these tremendously.
Carbonara has to be one of the great sauces of the world. It's easy, cheap and oh, so good!!

Ravioli Carbonara
makes 3 servings
* 1 package raviolis (usually 12-14)
* 2 teaspoons olive oil
* 2 garlic cloves, minced
* 6 slices prosciutto, sliced into strips
* 2 eggs, beaten with...
* 1 1/3 cup fat-free half and half
* 1 shallot minced
* 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
* Parsley for garnish

1. Bring a gallon of water to a boil and add 1 tablespoon of sea salt.
2. In a pan large enough to hold the ravioli, heat the olive oil and saute the garlic and shallots until they soften.
3. Add prosciutto and saute until that starts to brown. Add the cream/egg mixture and heat until it thickens.
4. With a spider, remove the ravioli right to the pan and stir to coat. Add extra pasta cooking water to thin the sauce out. Remember, the pasta will continue to absorb the sauce even with the heat off, so always start with a thinner consistency then you eventually desire.
5. Add the cheese, off the heat and stir to mix. Serve on a large platter and sprinkle with parsley.

Follow Me on Pinterest

No comments :