Wish Upon A Dish: Extreme Budget, Day Ten - Spaghetti and Square Meatballs

November 27, 2012

Extreme Budget, Day Ten - Spaghetti and Square Meatballs

 
I think I can finally breathe and get this house into order. All previous commitments have been made and on time. Now I can enjoy the holidays although I hate that I lost Fall and November. Right now I am staring at all my outdoor Christmas decorations on the deck and I am hoping to get them assembled before the snow arrives.

I am just not ready for Christmas this year. Luckily I do not have to buy Christmas gifts. We all decided to just put the money into the bank and give a contribution to the Governor and Mrs. Christie's Help for Sandy foundation they set up.

My extreme budget is so successful that I have been ordered to report updates on the running total to date every time I write a post. This meal was another example of good planning. If you have kids, don't tell them they will be eating square meatballs. They will get such a kick out of them, be prepared to make these again.

Since my meatloaf recipe is the same one as my meatball recipe but with Parmesan Cheese added, knowing I was using the recipe for both, we had cheese in our meatloaf. The Nudge thought it was really good this time, thinking it was because the outside got crispy, crunchy, which he loves. Know why it was extra crispy?
Yes, the cheese. The cheese melted and the protein (whey) oozed out, basting the outside and giving it a crisp skin.

My meatloaf recipe already posted, I am posting the sauce or gravy as I call it.
One thing I have plenty of is canned plum tomatoes. I planned ahead and roasted a head of garlic while I roasted the vegetables for my T-day side.

Spaghetti Sauce with Square Meatballs
makes 6 servings
* 2 cans plum tomatoes in juice
* 1/3 cup olive oil
* 4 garlic cloves, roasted
* 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
* 2 bay leaves
* 1 teaspoon Mexican Oregano
* 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
* salt & pepper
* 1 teaspoon honey
* 12 square meatballs

1. Heat oil in a saucepan on low heat and add the garlic and red pepper flakes. Saute for 5 minutes.
Add the bay leaves, oregano, thyme and salt & pepper.
2. Add tomatoes that have been pureed with an immersion blender or in a processor.
3. Bring to a boil, lower to a simmer and cook uncovered for 30 minutes.
4. Cut the leftover meatloaf into 1 1/2 -2" cubes and add to the stockpot.
5. Cover and simmer for 30 more minutes.
6. Uncover and continue simmering for another 30 minutes while you boil a pot of salted water to a boil.
7. Cook the spaghetti until al dente (about 8 minutes). Drain. Add enough sauce to the spaghetti to coat but not drown the pasta, top with the meat and serve with grated cheese.

Yummy, yay!!

Any leftover sauce gets stored in the freezer, dated and labeled, for another dinner.

Cost for this meal: $4.45
Meatball Mix - $3.20
Garlic - $ .60
Onion - $ .15
Cheese - $ .50

Running Total after 10 days: $28.52

 Follow Me on Pinterest

No comments :