Wish Upon A Dish: A new outlook on life....and a very important exam

November 25, 2012

A new outlook on life....and a very important exam

To try to maintain my sanity while we had no power (plus, I was tired of audiobooks and radio), I drove to the mall to get a haircut (and a wash) and while I waited for The Nudge, I ran over to Pearl Vision and made an appointment to have a long overdue eye exam and new frames.

When you are diagnosed with diabetes, a foot exam, a bone density test and an extensive eye exam is something you should do immediately. I did every one of them but the eyes. I had nothing to do on Monday, no where to go and I did not want to spend another day in that house. Time to complete the trifecta, change my image and update my look. I deserved a little pampering after being so depressed for two weeks.
I ended up getting a pair of Versace frames that were not too flashy but had lots of quiet style, plus they were large enough for progressive lens and were almost the same shape as my sunglasses which The Nudge calls my Mafia Momma look.

Two good things happened, my prescription did not change all that much after three years of constant blogging and detail painting and my eyes look good, inside and out. No damage from the diabetes and although I showed a slight allergy reaction in my left eye, it can be controlled with OTC drops.

According to the American Diabetes Association.............

Diabetes can damage the blood vessels of the eye, potentially leading to blindness. While those with diabetes are at an increased risk of vision problems, most people with diabetes have no or only minor eye disorders.
Eye Disorders include:
  • Retinopathy – Also known as damage to the blood vessels in the back of the eye, is more common if you have had diabetes a long time, or if your blood glucose or blood pressure haven't been under good control.
  • Glaucoma – Occurs when pressure builds up in the eye. Vision is gradually lost because the retina and nerve are damaged. People with diabetes are 40% more likely to suffer from glaucoma than people without diabetes. The longer someone has had diabetes, the more common glaucoma is. Risk also increases with age. There are several treatments for glaucoma, including drugs that reduce pressure in the eye as well as surgical options.
  • Cataracts – People with diabetes are 60% more likely to develop cataracts. People with diabetes also tend to get cataracts at a younger age and have them progress faster. With cataracts, the eye clouds, blocking OUT light. To help prevent and deal with mild cataracts, wear sunglasses outside and use glare-control lenses in your glasses.
Don't forget to get an annual dilated eye exam by an optometrist or ophthalmologist. Many eye problems are silent until they are advanced, but early detection and treatment truly saves vision.

I want to bring this to the attention of anyone who cares for a diabetic or has diabetes themselves because my SIL had to have laser photocoagulation and if not caught early could have caused blindness.

Stay safe and stay well and get that test done.

Follow Me on Pinterest

No comments :