Wish Upon A Dish: Shrimp Parmigiana - Gamberi alla Parmigiana

October 12, 2012

Shrimp Parmigiana - Gamberi alla Parmigiana


Jeez, I really hate getting sick. I am not talking about the flu or a cold, I am talking about the "hi, honey, I think I need my appendix taken out!" kind of sick.
While I am all better and walking around again (although rather diligently) my whole schedule has been set back days.
Just enough time for my greens to wilt, my dairy to become sour cream, my bread to become day old and the last of my summer produce to wave goodbye.
What did survive rather well was a quart of homemade spaghetti sauce, my well wrapped cheeses, and  a few very hardy fall veggies.
So while The Nudge brought me breakfast in bed for dinner (he does make a mean scrambled egg), we mapped out a menu easy enough for him to make the rounds at the market.

Today's post is about the first meal he chose, Shrimp Parmigiana. I don't think I have ever eaten, let alone cooked shrimp with mozzarella, so I can only deduce that he must have seen Lydia's rendition on TV.
I gave him ample time to change his mind but he remained steadfast and resolved at sticking to his guns.
What a man!!!

At any time of the year, there is always a bag of frozen shrimp in the freezer, so all I needed was the cheese. I prefer to use a packaged brand because the fresh can sometimes have too much water and watered down breaded shrimp is not my idea of good eats, so when I use mozzarella for parmigiana anything, it is always the packaged kind.
That being settled, the only other thing that I had to think about is the breading. Since this is a true Italian American creation, you would think a bread coat but with everything else going on in this dish I needed to treat the shrimp in a minimal way, so I opted for an egg white and cornstarch coating.

Ladle a spoon or two of sauce (not too much) in the bottom of an oven and broiler safe dish, place the shrimp in a single layer on the sauce and mound a pinchfull of grated mozzarella on each one.

Broil on HIGH for 5 minutes, until the cheese just starts to brown.
You could either serve this over pasta or in a hero roll.
Done in less then thirty minutes.

Honestly, I probably would not rush out to order this in a restaurant but I might consider making it at home again.
The Nudge informed me it reheated excellently for lunch today. Just the right amount of cheese.
As Americans we over cheese, over sauce, over do just about everything we eat but this dish keeps it in perspective and real.
 
Follow Me on Pinterest

No comments :