Wish Upon A Dish: Linguine with Clam Sauce

February 23, 2012

Linguine with Clam Sauce



One of my favorite shellfish dishes just happens to be linguine and clams.
I can never get enough, but The Nudge would be happy with twice a year so when I found out my favorite restaurant took it off the menu I was not happy.

My market had clams on sale this week so without missing a beat I ordered 2 dozen little neck clams. I was going to have my linguine with clams and to hell with him. Turns out, he told me, no you're wrong, I don't hate it as much as you think dear, and he said, and I quote "oh, I don't mind if we have this 2-3 times a year". Too funny, huh?

I make mine as simple as can be, relying on the fresh clams for all the flavoring.



Linguine with Clams
makes 4 servings

* 3/4 pound thin linguine
* 2 dozen little neck clams
* 1/4 cup EVOO
* 2 cloves garlic, sliced thin
* 1 teaspoon hot pepper flakes
* 1/4 cup white wine
* Juice from the clams
* Basil leaves
* Chopped scallions or parsley
* Fresh chopped tomato, seeded and juiced (optional)

Steam clams in 1" of water till they just open. Remove to a bowl to cool. Strain the juice through a paper towel, reserve.

In a large saute pan, heat olive oil, garlic and pepper flakes and saute until the garlic starts to brown on the edges, add the white wine and strained clam juice. Simmer until it reduces to about half.

Remove the meat from 1 dozen of the clams and chop into 3-4 pieces.

Bring a pot of salted water to a boil and cook the pasta according to the box directions, about 8 minutes.

Add the basil to the saute pan along with the chopped clams. When the pasta is done, add it to the sauce along with enough of the pasta water to keep the pasta moist. Add the clams in their shells to the pot, cover for 3 minutes and serve, arranging the shelled clams around the side of the pasta bowl. Sprinkle with parsley and serve.

Enjoy!!

Pin It

No comments :