Wish Upon A Dish: Chicken Saltim-Suzie

August 22, 2011

Chicken Saltim-Suzie



I defrosted one of many packages of chicken breasts butchered into scaloppine for quick dinners when I really need one.

I dipped them in flour and sauteed them in equal parts olive oil & butter until they developed a golden crust around the edges.

I added white wine to deglaze and a pinch of my herb salt (a mixture of dried sage, thyme and salt) to the wine, reduced it down, poured it over the chicken and into the fridge it went.

Last night I needed a quick fix meal. I was bogged down with kitchen and computer work all day yesterday and only had an hour to prepare dinner. My breakfast pancake recipe test fell flat and I spent the better part of the morning making batch after batch of buckwheat, riccotta and blueberry pancakes until they were what I wanted.

It isn't really going to be an authentic saltimbocca, but I will put the chicken pieces in a baking pan, place a piece of prosciutto on top and then a small nob of torn fresh mozzarella. Bake at 350F until the cheese oozes slightly and the chicken is heated through, pour the juice from the container over and serve with buttered angel hair pasta (The Nudge loves buttered angel hair). By the time you get the pan to the table, the sauce will be hot and a splash of white wine and a squeeze of fresh lemon will wake it up nicely.



I really love meals like this and I should start doing more advanced meal preparations on the weekends to make the coming week easier.

The Nudge will be away for the middle of this upcoming week and I am trying to prepare recipes I have wanted to try and I see a Sicilian Grilled Swordfish in my future and maybe a banana muffin or two (posts will be later in the month).

No comments :