Wish Upon A Dish: Lemon-Dill Salmon Cakes

June 8, 2011

Lemon-Dill Salmon Cakes

My first Joy Bauer recipe to taste test from her Slim & Scrumptious cookbook will be a Lemon-Dill Salmon Cake.

I have just enough cooked left-over salmon to make this for my lunch today.
I substituted Greek fat free yogurt for the sour cream, you really can not tell the difference.

I will post the recipe using the right amount to make 4 servings.

Lemon-Dill Salmon Cakes
makes 4 cakes with sauce
* 1 (14.750ounce) can wild salmon, drained, skin and bones removed
* 1/2 cup old-fashioned or quick cooking oats
* 2 tablespoons skim milk
* 1 small shallot, finely minced
* 2 egg whites
* 3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
* Grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
* 1/2 cup nonfat or low-fat sour cream
* Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

1. In a medium bowl, thoroughly mix the salmon, oats, milk, shallot, egg whites, 2 tablespoons of the chopped dill, the lemon zest and half the lemon juice. The mixture will be on the wet side but will bind up when cooked.
2. Gently shape the salmon mixture into 4 cakes. Transfer the cakes to a plate and refrigerate for 30 minutes to 2 hours to firm up.
3. While the salmon cakes are resting, prepare the sauce. In a small bowl, combine the sour cream, the remaining 1 tablespoon dill and the remaining lemon juice. Season with salt & pepper to taste. Store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
4. Liberally coat a large skillet or saute pan with oil spray, and preheat it over medium heat.
5. Place the salmon cakes in the skillet and cook on the first side until golden brown, about 6 minutes.
6. Mist the tops of the cakes with oil spray and gently flip them over, taking extra care not to break them. Cook for about 4 minutes on the second side, or until the cakes are firm to the touch.
7. To serve, top each salmon cake with a large dollop (about 2 tablespoons) of the sauce.


Review: Very good salmon cake. It cracked a little when I flipped it over but that may have been because I made a thinner patty than I would have if I wasn't eating it with a half a Thomas' Thin Bagel. I thought the sauce could have used a little sweet to counter the sour so I added a scant teaspoon of agave nectar and a bit more lemon juice and that made a world of difference. I would make these again and serve them over a simple tomato, red onion and lettuce salad for me and for The Nudge I would toast a bun and put the tomato and lettuce on that.

No comments :