Wish Upon A Dish: Hot Dog Onions ♥ Do you also wait all year for Vidalia onions?

May 31, 2011

Hot Dog Onions ♥ Do you also wait all year for Vidalia onions?

My Shop-Rite stopped selling boxes of Vidalia onions. They have resorted to breaking open the boxes and selling them in bulk, which is OK I guess but the price doubles.

I used to wait all year for Vidalias to appear and was visibly upset at them.

I would spend the day dicing, slicing and chopping, then measuring amounts into bags to process with my Food Saver.

I had Vidalias to cook with all year.

What I did not portion, I would slice and skewer, caramelize, stew and saute to use with everything that came off my grill.

This year I found them at BJ's (or a warehouse-type club) in a net bag and at a price I could live with at $2.99 for a 5lb bag.

Onions are wonderful for diabetics. They add sweetness without adding calories and have a GI of only 15, and a GL of 5 so eat 'em up!!

Onions are a rich source of chromium, vitamin C and dietary fiber. Chromium is a trace mineral that can help control glucose levels, as it aids in providing blood sugar to cells and therefore can increase sensitivity to insulin. According to the World's Healthiest Foods, research indicates that eating onions regularly may also lower the risk of some cancers.

I just added pickled onions to my list of things I want to make this year and Vidalia's would be perfect for pickling. I might just make enough to process and can one jar for each family member. I do believe I will share my recipe for Sabrett Onions with you. In a tightly covered glass container (like a Ball canning jar) they keep in the fridge for 2 months.

If you can find Vidalias, buy them...hell, buy 2 and you will be happy all year.



Sabrett Onions are synonomous with those Sabrett Hot Dog carts on every corner in NYC as well as every ball park in the Tri-State area. Unfortunately those being born in the Mid-West are unaware of Mr. Geisler's creation.

Since I refuse to pay $10.00 for a jar of prepared onions, I have tried 3 different recipes and have found this one to be the closest. Now everyone can have Sabrett-style onions all year round.







Sabrett-Style Prepared Onions
makes about 1 cup but doubles & triples well
* 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
* 1 medium onion, sliced thin and chopped
* 4 cups water
* 2 tablespoons tomato paste
* 2 teaspoons corn syrup
* 1 teaspoon cornstarch
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
* 1/4 cup vinegar

1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
2. Sauté sliced onion in the oil for 5 minutes, until onions are
soft but not brown.
3. Add water, tomato paste, corn syrup, cornstarch, salt, and red
pepper flakes, and stir.
4. Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 45
minutes. Add vinegar. Continue to simmer for an additional 30 to 45
minutes or until most of the liquid has reduced and the sauce is
thick.

No comments :