Wish Upon A Dish: No. 5 Top Fave - Buttermilk Oatmeal Pancakes

January 4, 2011

No. 5 Top Fave - Buttermilk Oatmeal Pancakes

I am jumping the gun on my top 10 faves because I am making No.5 for breakfast this morning.

I had Buttermilk Banana pancakes at the diner yesterday and had a hankering for pancakes, but healthy ones. I just wish the diner would get with it and offer up buckwheat or whole wheat pancakes for those of us that actually like them (like me).

My version of healthy but really tasty pancakes has had many incarnations, finally ending up with this recipe. I must say that for the kids you could add tiny chocolate kisses and they will think they are eating oatmeal cookies.
Adding blueberries, bananas or chopped walnuts will up the nutritionals tremendously and for more flavor you can measure out 2/3 cups of those flavored Quaker Oats Oatmeal packets.

I use Carey's Sugar Free syrup (it is the best one I have found so far). I will also be eating Ruby Red grapefruit segments with mine.

My Buttermilk-Oatmeal Pancakes
makes 8 (5") pancakes)

* 1 1/4 cups skim buttermilk
* 2/3 cup quick cooking oats (or premixed flavored oatmeal packets)
* 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
* 1 tablespoon cooking oil
* 1/4 cup egg beaters (or 1 beaten egg)
* 3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
* 2 tablespoons Splenda brown sugar
* 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
* 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
* 1/4 teaspoon salt

Combine buttermilk, oats and vanilla in a bowl. Let stand 30 minutes (but overnight would be wonderful, stirring occasionally.
Stir in oil and egg.
In a large bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, baking soda and salt; stir well. Add oat mixture to flour mixture, stirring until smooth. Spoon about 1/3 cup batter for each 5" pancake, a 1/4 cup for 4" pancakes, onto a hot non-stick griddle. Turn pancakes when tops are covered with bubbles and edges look cooked.
These pancakes are more delicate and will take longer to cook then standard ones because of the spare amount of flour in them. I put mine in a 300F oven while I make a batch and they are done to perfection by the time I flip the last one.

Exchanges:
1 1/2 starch
1/2 low fat milk

No comments :