Wish Upon A Dish: Homemade Marinara Sauce

January 17, 2011

Homemade Marinara Sauce

Going to my Dad's on Thursday, Shop-Rite having their annual Can-Can sale and a case of pint canning jars. What do they have in common?

I always buy 2 cases of Whole Plum Tomatoes and make sauce for the rest of the winter.

This time I decided to make my dad a few so he can have some good ravioli's with a sauce sans cholesterol and sodium. He's not supposed to eat red meat anymore and use no salt, so I went with a marinara but made with a low-sodium beef broth.

Homemade sauce is so easy. You do some sauteing and then let it simmer for a few hours while you do housework or blog.

The last time I visited my Dad I bought a quart jar of homemade from a local Italian deli here in Hopatcong, cost me $7.25.
Four pints of homemade cost me $3.65 (twice as much for hal the price).
Why would you ever buy it again??

Homemade Marinara Sauce
* 3 tbls EVOO
* 1 large onion, chopped
* 4 cloves garlic, chopped
* 2 tbls tomato paste
* 1 carrot, grated
* 1/4 cup white wine
* 2 cups beef broth
* 2 bay leaves
* 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
* 2 - 28oz cans whole tomatoes in juice
* 2 tbls Italian Spice Blend
* 1 tbls pesto

In olive oil saute onions and garlic till they are caramelized. Add tomato paste and cook till that caramelizes.
Add carrot, wine and bay leaves. Bring to a simmer.
Add tomatoes, pepper and spices.
Simmer for 2 hours.
Puree, add the pesto and jar.
Refrigerate and use in 1 month (if you water bath them, they will last for at least a year in your pantry).

No comments :