Wish Upon A Dish: Corn & Crab Pudding

January 28, 2011

Corn & Crab Pudding

I am a huge corn person, especially corn relish. I could eat it right out of the jar (and I have done that). I used to buy a jar that Williams Sonoma sold, when I had a chance to visit a mall store. They no longer sell it but I found a recipe for one that is very close. Now I 'can' a few pint jars of it when Jersey corn is at the peak...YUM (I promise to post the recipe come the summer).

This pudding recipe has been in my 'recipes to do' file for 2 years now. Since we had corn on the menu I thought I would sneak it in. Unfortunately I am still with major cold and all I could muster was to call for pizza. I am posting the recipe for all those following this blog without colds...........

Crab & Corn Pudding
makes 8 servings
* 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
* 1 box frozen corn in a butter sauce
* 3 scallions, chopped
* 1/2 medium red pepper, chopped
* 3 tablespoons whole wheat flour
* fresh nutmeg
* 3/4 tsp salt
* 1/2 tsp pepper
* 3/4 pound crabmeat or surimi (I like it enough to use it in this recipe)
* 1 1/3 cups fat-free half & half
* 3 eggs
* 3 egg whites

Directions
Lightly grease eight 8-oz. custard cups; set aside. In a skillet, saute green onions, red pepper and corn in butter until tender. Remove and cool.

Once cooled add the eggs, crab, flour, salt, nutmeg and pepper.

Pour into prepared custard cups or 2-quart baking dish.
Place cups in a large baking pan and add 1 in. of boiling water to pan.

Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes (for ramekins) and 45-50 minutes (for 2-qt dish) or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.

Review: I eventually made these with the Baked Salmon. They were sweet and tasty with a creamy cornbread base. The kids will love these.

No comments :