Wish Upon A Dish: Penne Rigate with Brussel Sprouts and Gorgonzola

August 31, 2010

Penne Rigate with Brussel Sprouts and Gorgonzola

The Nudge picked brussel sprouts at Whole Foods on Saturday. I was going to cook them with the pork loin but when I decided that pork would be good with pineapple I had to find a meal for the sprouts. As I was making my monthly calendar, I opened a Food and Wine magazine from January and there it was.....

Penne with Brussel Sprouts and Gorgonzola
(serves 4)

Ingredients:
* 2 tablespoon(s) extra-virgin olive oil
* 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
* 1 pound(s) brussels sprouts, trimmed, loose outer leaves reserved and sprouts thinly sliced
* 1 long red fresh chile, halved, seeded and sliced crosswise 1/4-inch thick
* 1 teaspoon(s) chopped thyme
* Salt and freshly ground pepper
* 1/2 pound(s) penne rigate (I use Dreamfields)
* 4 ounce(s) Gorgonzola cheese (I used a Smoked Roquefort)

Directions:
1. In a large, deep skillet, heat the olive oil. Add the onion and cook over moderately high heat, stirring, for 3 minutes. Add the sliced brussels sprouts, chile, and thyme and season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until the sprouts are just tender, about 3 minutes. Add the reserved sprout leaves, cover, and remove from the heat.
2. Meanwhile, in a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook the penne until al dente. Drain, reserving 3/4 cup of the pasta water. Add the penne to the skillet along with the pasta cooking water and cook over moderate heat, stirring to coat the pasta with the vegetables. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer the pasta to bowls, top with the Gorgonzola, and serve right away.

(note: if you wanted to sprinkle some toasted walnut pieces as a garnish, that would be great).










Exchanges (per serving):
1 1/2 fat
2 non-starchy vegetable
1 starch
1 meat



I finished my September Menu Calendar and I have to say I picked some pretty nice recipes. As I post about them, I will include the Exchanges and Nutrition Facts. If I have time I will also list the GI. Since I do not know what YOU will be serving with that recipe I can not give you the load since that is an average of all the foods you eat together, not the individual recipe.

No comments :