Wish Upon A Dish: Lemon Ricotta Scones

August 29, 2010

Lemon Ricotta Scones

The Nudge loves a scone at work, in the morning with his coffee. I can not find a good scone unless I go to Panera Bread everyday and buy one, so a few months ago I started making my own. I have found that we both love the cream or buttermilk based scone and not a lot of fruits or sugary things in it.
I saw this recipe, I don't remember where, but I stored it in my recipe box until I could make them.

Today was the day.



They had a biscuit-like texture to them, not as crumbly or dry but the lemon zest was refreshing and the ricotta & buttermilk kept them moist.

I will make these again.

Lemon Ricotta Scones
(makes 8 scones)

* 6.75 ounces all-purpose flour (about 1 1/2 cups)
* 1/4 cup Splenda No Calorie
* 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
* 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
* 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 3/4 cup whole milk ricotta
* 1/4 cup chilled butter, grated or cut into small pieces
* 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon buttermilk
* 2 tablespoons cream, for tops
* 1 teaspoon demerra sugar

1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Combine the first 5 ingredients in a medium bowl; stir with a whisk.
Cut in the ricotta and butter until the mixture resembles coarse sand,
using a pastry blender, 2 knives, or your fingers. Gently stir in the buttermilk.
Turn the dough out onto a floured surface. Knead gently for 2 minutes
(the dough is crumbly but holds together).
3. Place the dough on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
Pat the dough into a 3/4-inch-thick circle.
Cut the dough into 8 wedges (don’t separate the wedges).
Use a pastry brush to brush the surface of the dough with cream;
sprinkle with sugar.
4. Bake at 400 degrees F for 17 minutes or until lightly browned.
Cool on a wire rack.

No comments :