Wish Upon A Dish: Skirt Steak with Chimichrui Sauce

July 7, 2010

Skirt Steak with Chimichrui Sauce

I never made a chimichuri sauce. Hubby, a name I was never fond of calling him, so I finally decided to call him The Nudge because he tortured his sisters and brother when they were young and he continues to do so with our cats.
He got to sit in the front seat between his parents not because he was special, he couldn't be trusted in the back......lol.

Anyone who reads this blog knows The Nudge does not like sauces. I finally got an agreement for 1 new sauce a week. Yay for me!!

So, since he's a steak man, the obvious choice was a chimichuri.

I think that my processor, being the 5 cup KitchenAid (discontinued) which I love for cooking for 2, just isn't very good at processing small amounts of pesto type sauces. It isn't really good at mayonnaise-type aioli's either.
Now I have to whip out my immersion blender cup attachment and do it again.

Damn
I hate washing dishes !!!

Chimichurri Sauce

* 1/4 cup hot water
* 2 teaspoons dried oregano
* 1 tablespoon kosher salt
* 1 1/3 cups loosely packed flat leaf parsley leaves
* 2/3 cup loosely packed cilantro leaves
* 6 medium garlic cloves, minced or pressed through garlic press
* 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
* 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
* 1 tbls agave nectar
* 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil

Combine hot water, oregano, and salt in small bowl; let stand 5 minutes to soften oregano. Pulse parsley, cilantro, garlic, and red pepper flakes in food processor until coarsely chopped, about ten 1-second pulses. Add vinegar and water mixture and pulse briefly to combine. With processor running, slowly add oil in stream until incorporated and mixture is emulsified. Transfer to medium bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and let stand at room temperature for at least one hour (if preparing sauce in advance refrigerate and then bring to room temperature before using).

It's saltier when I taste it than I would like but I imagine on a steak it's perfect.

I cut the skirt steak in 5" pieces so grilling and carving will be easier.
Salt & pepper both sides and that's all you need.

Fiesta Corn

* 1 box frozen corn or good quality canned corn (I use DelMonte)
* 1 tsp butter & olive oil
* 1/2 sweet onion, chopped to size of corn
* 1 jarred sweet roasted pepper, or fresh, chopped same as onion
* 1 tablespoon Thai-style sweet chili sauce

Saute everything in pan with oil & butter until it is GB&D (golden, brown & delicious)



A little Spanish Rice and Fiesta corn and you have a very tasty meal.
The Nudge had seconds so I know it tasted good.

No comments :