Wish Upon A Dish: Shrimp with Chermoula Sauce

June 24, 2010

Shrimp with Chermoula Sauce

Does anyone know what kind of sauce Chermoula is? First of all, it's Moroccan, well North African to be exact.
I am on a Moroccan kick this month since hubby found out he works with a man from Morocco. He was nice enough to give us Harissa to use in my cooking.
There are many versions of Chermoula made, each house has it's own recipe handed down from generation to generation. Almost like pasta sauce.

In Morocco they use it for fish, which is how I am going to use it.
I do not have preserved lemons. I would love to make them myself but it calls for thin shinned lemons or spring lemons and I can only get the thick skinned type here in the NE.
I will probably buy a jar next time I go to a specialty store, my Whole Foods doesn't carry it.
I will use the zest and juice from 1 lemon instead.
Recipe calls for marinade and grill sauce but I am also extending it to include dipping sauce.
I added an egg yolk to the processor while making the paste. It has the consistency of mayonnaise but kicked up a few notches.........lol.

My Chermoula Sauce

* Zest and juice of one lemon
* 2 garlic cloves
* 3 tbls flat-leaf parsley
* 3 tbls cilantro
* 1/8 tsp saffron threads
* 1/2 tsp paprika
* 1/8 tsp cayenne
* 12 tsp cumin
* 3 tbls olive oil
* Lemon wedges, to serve

* 4 x-large (16-20) shrimps per person.

Process all ingredients.
Add 1 egg yolk if looking for a mayonnaise-type sauce.



My take on shrimp and grits....lol. I cooled the polenta in a mini muffin tin and circled the shrimp around each one.




I will baste them on the grill with the Chermoula sauce and serve it with roasted broccoli on the side.
I love polenta in any form, but especially firm and grilled.
In the winter I bake it with grated cheese over it.
YUM!!

No comments :