Wish Upon A Dish: Blackberry Swirl Scones and food pictures

June 10, 2010

Blackberry Swirl Scones and food pictures

I am not a baker. I don't like to bake but I'm very competitive with myself and when I can't do something I make a point of doing it but doing it really well.
To the point that I become obsessed....and then it wears off.
Take the site Tastespotting for example.
I wasn't even aware of it 3 months ago when I started this blog.
When I discovered it, I thought...OK, let's sign up and submit a picture.

Yeah, right.
I have this little hand held Olympus camera that, while it's fine for basic pictures, it really sucks for food pics.
I do have photoshop, so I taught myself how to adjust the brightness and contrast of my pics.
They still get rejected but not so much for lighting but now my composition stinks.

I go back and forth and back again and rework a few pictures and....ta da....I FINALLY get one published....YAY for me, right?
Oh no, that's not good enough for me. I want another one up there to prove it wasn't a fluke.
I am determined to get composition down so I can put up professional-type food pics. I read all the time if you want peeps to follow your blog you have to have really good food pics.
I don't make any money from my blog, nor do I eventually want to make money. I want to cook gourmet, with dietary concerns and share my successes with people who also have dietary goals.

I forget to take pics some nights. I really should just do the best I can and if it gets published then I feel good. I try to do the best I can.
Alas, this too shall pass..........I feel obligated to be a good photographer but I just want to develop diabetic friendly recipes not pictures.

I will continue to submit food pictures because I need Diabetics to find me.....so........if the pics are shadowed or a little blurry I'm sorry, but I can guarantee the recipes won't be.

Blackberry Swirl Scones
* Use my Cinnamon Scone Recipe but subtitute 1 container of fresh blackberries (about 6oz) for the dried cranberries and 1 cup Pastry Flour and 1 cup Whole Wheat Pastry Flour for the 2 cups AP flour (only if you want them healthier).

I blend all the dry ingredients in my processor, then add the butter and pulse until small peas (you know the drill).
Refrigerate the processor bowl while prepping the other ingredients.
I chopped up the blackberries because they were way too big and I coated them in flour to absorb the juices that exude from the berries.
Dump the processor mixture into a big bowl and with a fork, make a well in the middle.
Add the liquids and mix until moistened.
Dump that mixture out onto a wood board and knead it until it comes together, adding more flour or cream if needed. The whole wheat flour being drier than regular flour I did have to add about 2 tbls more cream.

Roll out the dough to about 1" thick and a 12x8 inch rectangle. Spread the berries evenly over the dough and using a dough scraper flip 1/3 of the dough over and then over again, making what is actually a jellyroll. Compact the ends and round out the dough and cut into 1" thick slices. Place on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper or a Silpat, sprinkle tops with demerara sugar and bake at 400F for 24-25 minutes.
If you want to add a glaze, that's up to you but hubby doesn't like them too sweet.

No comments :